Sunday, April 17, 2011

Never workout with guys half your age

It has been about twelve days since my last post.  The days blend together in a blur as training continues at Camp Atterbury.  Today was Palm Sunday yet it was just another training day for us.  Easter will be the same, although we are going to try and get people to Easter services if they want to go.  When it is all said and done, the time I spend training for this mission will be longer than the actual mission...strange.  The guys from the Security Force normally get up at five in the morning to PT.  A few times I have joined them to assist in my physical conditioning and to show some esprit d'corps with the group of guys who will be responsible for keeping us safe while we are in Afghanistan.  Big mistake...huge.  Oh I made it through all the PT, barely.  The first day I went out with them they had a quick run to the gym.  As we left the barracks we were in two columns with about 24 guys per column.  We did an indian run where the two guys in back sprint to the front and once they reach the front then the next two sprint to the front.  The pace was already pretty good, so since I was practically at my sprint speed, my run to the front was painful. Amazing how long a line of 24 guys can be when you are trying to run by everyone.   Once I was in front I had to continue the fast pace of the formation. No relief.  Now, the gym is not that far from the barracks, so after just a couple of minutes it was in sight.  I was hoping and praying that we would reach it before I found myself in the back again being expected to sprint forward.  I kept looking back, relieved that there was still someone behind me.  Alas, my luck run out right before we reached the gym and I found myself at the back at the column.  My partner in the other column yelled "Go" and I was off to the races...the turtle races.  The snail races, the sloth races.  It was like a horror movie as the column just kept getting longer and longer with the front always seeming far, far away.  I finally reached the front as we reached the gym and right behind me came the next guy in line.  Show off.

But the trip to the gym was only the beginning.  As the team filed into the gym, the four squad leaders pulled me aside and explained how each squad would be working through different workout stations.  They all recommended I go with Staff Sergeant Drew's squad and then they each described the workouts their squads would go through.  I became suspicious as they described the workouts because the workout they were recommending for me seemed to be the worst of them all. So I asked, "Why do you guys recommend Staff Sergeant Drew's workout?"  Sergeant Drew answered "Because it sucks the most."  Of course I could not shy away from the challenge.  And yes, it sucked.  By the time I was done, I was done.

I deserve an F for headwork for that day anyway, because the day that I chose to go workout with the Secfor was also the day the whole team was going on a three mile walk with body armor, helmet and weapon.  So just a couple of hours after the workout I was back out there trudging through the grass with forty or fifty pounds of gear hanging on my shoulders.  The point of the walk is to work up to an eight mile hike and complete it in two hours (fifteen minute per mile pace).  So, it was not a leisurely stroll.

Alright, I am not complaining.  Actually I am enjoying the experience.  I love going toe to toe with the guys and I believe they appreciate the effort even if I cannot always keep up.  The last few days we have been out at the firing ranges qualifying on the shotgun, M4 rifle and the M9 pistol.  It was great to get out of the classroom and do something fun.  I have never been a big gun guy.  This is the first time I have shot any sort of weapon in about twelve years.  That lack of experience showed a bit in my accuracy, although I did alright in the shotgun and M4.  I qualified in the pistol after a couple of tries.  It can be tough to face the troops after scoring a lousy score only if you let it be tough.  I laughed at myself and told them I just wanted more opportunities to shoot.

This week I am back in the classroom while some of the others continue to qualify on the larger weapons such as the 50 cal machine gun and the 240 machine gun.  I am in class learning about the different radios we will use to communicate when we are out on a mission.  Important stuff as well.  More later...must rest up so that I can get back to the gym with the Secfor.

No comments:

Post a Comment