Friday, August 26, 2011

Yesterday morning I stood out on the flight line and watched one of my guys head toward the helicopter.  He was starting a long journey back to the states that would take him from Camp Wright to Jalalabad to Bagram to Kuwait to New Jersey (and a few more layovers in between Kuwait and New Jersey I am sure).  He was heading back home to bury his father.  The night before he had learned of his father's passing, so now he was on his way home to provide some strength for those who had been there at the end, and to figure out how to grieve for his own loss.  The realities of life and death are not put on hold during deployment.  Kids continue to grow up and experience life, people lose and gain employment, hurricanes threaten homes and loved ones, and people pass away.  I remember being on deployment and receiving a letter from Mom saying Aunt Darlene had passed away.  I couldn't remember the last time I had seen her, but once I joined the Navy the times I had seen her had been few and far between.  But, I sat there in my stateroom with tears rolling down my cheeks, sad for my mother and for Aunt Darlene's family that had always been a part of my life in some way even if it was just wonderful memories.  Numerous times over the years I have been faced with breaking the news to a Sailor that someone close to them had passed away.  The helplessness of being so far away and the guilt of not having been there, regardless of whether or not you could do anything about it always seems  to be the first reaction. 

This young man who is now on his journey back to the states (which will no doubt be affected by Hurricane Irene) is a strong, powerful, stoic man who takes great pride in doing his job well.  But the other night he was reduced to sorrow and tears as he sat in disbelieve at the loss.  The tears came in waves as the reality would hit, or as a friend would come in to comfort him. We pray for him and for his family and there is no doubt that his father was proud of the man he had become and the grandchild he had given him.  He will bury his father, comfort his family and then return, taking the long route back here to resume the deployment so far from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment