Thursday, February 3, 2011

In the Army Now

So, yesterday morning I set out from Washington DC at 4:16 in the morning for Camp Atterbury, Indiana to start the next chapter of this unlikely adventure.  I had arrived back in DC earlier in the day after sneaking back to Washington State for a few days, just long enough to get a root canal, a new crown and to spend a couple of days with Midori and Sean.  Tuesday night was spent in Northwest DC with my sister-in-law Marybeth and my lovely niece Emma (actually all of my nieces are lovely).  David is off on his own adventures in Europe so the three of us had a wonderful going away dinner of homemade lasagna.  Despite the arrival of the Storm of the Century, I was determined to arrive in Indiana on time as ordered and was on the road early.

My plan was to skirt the storm by keeping to the south through West Virginia and southern Ohio, coming up to Edinburgh (where Atterbury is located) from the south instead of through Indianapolis which was getting a good portion of the storm.  Through the twelve hours I experienced everything from sun, fog, rain, freezing rain, snow, wind, etc.  No hail...I didn't get to drive through any hail.  The worst part was the patches of fog that I drove through at five in the morning.  Leaning forward, straining to see the little white reflectors on the lane strips, trying to follow them and hoping they did not lead me off a cliff or into some cold body of water.  The patches of fog would only last for a few minutes at a time as I went over the mountains, but it was tense nonetheless.  As I arrived in Indiana the snow and wind really picked up but the roads remained clear so it was never really treacherous.  Although I arrived in the general vicinity of the base in eleven hours, it took another hour to actually find the main gate.  Mapquest did a great job getting me close but then went completely haywire once I got close and it ended up sending me down some snowy backroads to nowhere.  Luckily I was saved by Chief Petty Officer Anderson who came out and met me alongside the highway and guided me in the rest of the way.  Some interesting observations along the way:

-The rabbit that I swerved to miss at 65 MPH on the Interstate.  He must have been frozen in terror because he absolutely was not moving as I went around him.  I looked in my rearview mirror and, because it was dark I could not see the rabbit, I could see the semi right behind me.  The truck driver did not swerve an inch so either the rabbit moved very quickly (although he was facing the wrong direction to get away), or the truck driver chocked up some more points for roadkill. I just did not see a good escape route for the poor bunny.

-Customer service in the "heartland" is...let us say...relaxed.  Stopping at a McDonalds at 5:30 I had to stand there and watch as the guy making the egg mcmuffins had a near breakdown as he grew tired of the three women constantly bugging him for their orders.  He threatened to "walk" if they didn't get off his back.  He claimed he was "working as fast as I can.  If y'all want these faster you can come back here and make them yourself!"  I was glad one of the girls did finally go back there because I had noticed while he was putting together my mcgriddle sandwich that he wasn't wearing gloves.  I thought this was odd because he was touching everything (sausage, eggs, cheese) with his bare hands.  When the girl went back to help him she must have said something because he stopped and put gloves on.  So he only touched half my sandwich with his hands...yumm.  Amazingly enough there was only me and two other customers in the place.  It wasn't like it was the noon rush hour.

-I also stopped at a Wal-Mart at the Ohio/Indiana border and was privileged to listen to Mabel the cashier banter about the weather with the old couple in front of me.  Of course Mabel had a difficult time doing two things at once so as she was getting their change, she would have to stop to get her thoughts together so she could tell her story.  No worries Mabel, take your time, there's just a blizzard outside and we have places to go but...you concentrate on your story. A sweet lady nonetheless (and I have no recollection what her real name was...Mabel sounded appropriate).

So, after twelve hours on the road I arrived.  Of the thirteen people who were supposed to start their training yesterday guess how many actually made it to Camp Atterbury?  Yes, you are correct...one.  I was the only one who showed up.  The others had the good sense to hunker down somewhere and  wait out the storm.  Some had no choice since they were flying in and had their flights cancelled.  Others stayed in hotels in Indianapolis (wimps).  Last night, Chief Anderson gave me a brief tour of the base (including the minimum security prison which is located smack-dab in the middle of the base...note to self, do not wear a bright orange stocking cap while I am here...don't want to be mistaken for the wrong type of tenant) and then left me to settle in to my new home.  My new home is an eighty man open bay barracks...envision Stripes or Full Metal Jacket or any other Army movie that shows rows of metal bunk beds and foot lockers.  Yep, I have the whole place to myself.  The last time I stayed in a place like this was when I came back in the Navy in 1985.  The nostalgia is washing over me...okay not really.  Since I am the only one in the place I was able to pick out a prime bunk in the corner away from the Head/Latrine/restroom and away from the door to the frigid outside.  Since I am a Master Snorer, I thought about picking a bunk right in the middle so all of my compadres would benefit from the soothing sounds of my evening log sawing, but I thought better of it and put myself in the corner.

Now I write this at 5:00 AM sitting in my bunk, covered by my cherished, bright orange Oregon State snuggie (the best Xmas gift ever!).  In a few moments I will shower and change into my Army cammies.  I tried them on the other night in DC.  It felt like Halloween.  Time to get used to it.  At least it says US Navy on the front.  Guess I will go check out the chow hall and see how the National Guard does breakfast.  More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment